Wednesday 15 August 2012

The Fashion Journals

This blog is a creative outlet for myself and a way to record my early years in the fashion industry but it's also (hopefully!) a tool to help other young aspiring fashionistas.

I've just started my internship as a Fashion Buyer on a men's shirt brand as part of my Fashion Marketing degree and am so far loving the responsibility and diversity of the role but it's challenging and hard work. 

Here is my journal for you to read, your thoughts and inspirations are welcome and encouraged as I get to grips with the fashion ropes.

So for the past two months I've been finding my feet as I become an Assistant Buyer for the first time, the things I found hardest was the sheer volume of information to learn; past season's best and worst sellers, product codes, supplier's names, terminology and the general protocol of the business to name a few.

I love the brand that I'm working on; a very small, luxury Savile Row shirt company stocked in the Savile Row flagship and some Harvey Nichols. It's just myself and the buying director working on the brand and as she has around 9 other names to look after I feel like it's really my own.

Passionate about the role and eager to get it right I compiled some competitor analysis, looking at Paul Smith and Ozwald Boateng. I also looked at future trend research for SS13 (unlike fast fashion we work a year in advance however, amazingly, our deadlines still seem to be tight and deliveries in jeopardy). Trend prediction is one of my major passions and ideally I'd like to try it out as a future career option before I finish University, I love the depth of analysis and interpretation that goes in to it as well as the incredibly creative element and it's power to influence what we'll be wearing in a years' time.

Next week I'll use this information as my buying director and I go to London to pick out fabrics for the SS13 range.

Perhaps Orla Kiely isn't quite right but I love these beautiful furnishing fabrics nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment